Friday, February 6, 2009

Its not chance, its Lance

To the tune: Springtime in Alaska

He mushed out of Whitehorse through rivers and peaks.
He’d been on the trail then for almost two weeks.
Pulled into Fairbanks, the city was amazed.
His third Yukon Quest win was in just 10 days.

The old mushers said it could never be done.
Two one thousand milers in a year can’t be won.
Lance never listened to their sad and dismal wail.
He hitched up the team for Iditarod’s trail.

The trail was hard and rocky, icy slick and fast.
Many sleds and dreams were shattered by Rainy Pass.
On only one good runner through the Gorge and the Burn.
The dogs taught a few things men would soon learn.

They blew through checkpoints and camped on the trail.
The old men kept saying Lance’s team was doomed to fail.
The dogs just kept running like they were headed home.
When its springtime in Alaska they’re racing to Nome.

Along the frozen Yukon and across the Bering Sea,
Lance stopped the team a few miles out past Safety.
Lots of love was given and each dog got them some.
When its springtime in Alaska they’re winning in Nome.

When its springtime in Alaska they’re racing to Nome.
The above photo was taken by Donna Quante on the 2008 Yukon Quest. Its one of my favorites and I appreciate Donna's great eye for scenery and drama.

3 comments:

Helen Hegener said...

The song is "North to Alaska," by Johnny Horton. Been a favorite since I was just a kid - watched the movie again just a few weeks ago with my Dad - it never loses its charm!

But details aside, that's an awesome adaptation, Sarida - did you pen those marvelous verses?

Helen Hegener said...

Mea culpa! I re-read it with the "Springtime in Alaska" tune and it does work better... And I see you've got the "North to Alaska" tune plugged into another great bit of writing below... What fun!

Sarida said...

Hi Helen,

Yes, I try to write poetry of my own as well as adapt lyrics. These Alaska themed ones were strictly for my entertainment and for other mush-aholics.

My other blog has my poetry:

http://celtexas.blogspot.com/