Friday, February 6, 2009

The Larry Appreciation Society


In the Larry Appreciation Society, we have no board of directors or officers or parliamentarian, and the only items you get for joining are the patches. We are a loose confederation of Larry Lovers spread around the US, Canada and as far away as Great Britain.

The Larry Appreciation Society started as a lark among members of the Idita-Support Yahoo Group. During last year’s race season we were all commenting on what a great dog Larry is and how many of us admire him. Then someone said, “There ought to be a Larry Fan Club!” To which someone else said, “Yeah, with posters and mouse pads and t-shirts and coffee mugs!” Well, I couldn’t resist the idea, so I sat down and designed a patch, just for fun. I posted it to the Idita-Support Yahoo Group’s files and within a day I had about 30 orders for patches.

At the same time Lance and Team Mackey were in Nome for the start of the All Alaska Sweepstakes. Also in Nome were Theresa Daily, Donna Quante, Helen Hegener, & Jan Napoli. One of them printed the design out and took it to Lance and Tonya. The Mackeys liked it and said they would OK production of the patch if it benefited the kennel. Who could say no to that?

I started getting quotes and reworking the design for stitching. The folks on the Idita- Support Group started sending me reserve orders. Then the snowmachine accident happened and everything went on hold. We just waited while Lance and Tonya tended to Zorro and we all hoped for the best. Some weeks later as Zorro was healing and looking much better, we restarted the patch project and went into production.

The whole purpose of the Larry patch is as a fund raiser for Lance’s Comeback Kennel. For each $10.00 patch sold the kennel gets $7.00. Tell your Larry loving friends to order their own patches and help us raise money for Lance and the team.

I’m asking folks who order Larry’s patch to send me a picture wearing it. These pictures will go into a digital scrapbook for all the Larry Appreciation Society. Join the team.

Happy trails and wagging tails,

3 comments:

Helen Hegener said...

I think Larry has always been my favorite in part because he looks so much like my own Chena - he stuck right out of Lance's team the first time I saw it for that reason alone. But Larry also has a certain attitude, a spirit, a joie de vivre... He's the one always barking and yarking and getting the rest of the team worked up; he's the one lunging into his harness and trying to launch himself into the race; he's the one always looking back at Lance with a demeanor that just says "I love you, Man" and "Hey! Are you ready back there YET?" Whattadog!

One of my all-time favorite Iditarod photos is Larry and Lance sitting there together at the finish line in Nome...

Sarida said...

Hi Helen,

Larry has what theatre folk call "stage presence". He takes focus, no matter what else is happening on stage. I can always pick him out on the team, he has the happiest face and the most intense body stance.

I think Larry is a living legend. Six 1000 mile victories, three golden harnesses and he's still one of the top racing leaders on the trail today. What other dog, now or in the past, has achieved this? Frankly, he deserves his own book deal. Let's get Lance to tell us his best Larry stories and collect them for a book. Think he'd go for it?

Sarida

Unknown said...

Hi Helen,
I watched the 2019 Iditarod. WAtching Lance and Larry closely. I watched the movie about Lance. The Great Alone, and I read his book. I found your blog, and while it is archieved, and I do not know if you check in I wanted to show my appreciation for your passion towards Lance, and Larry, and the whole team of course. I love the patch you designed, and you are very talented. Of course, I would love a patch to show my support. Nonetheless, I wanted to let you know that your blog and visit to Alaska is neat.
Take care,
DT